Tuesday 4 March 2008

Heather Small takes Ambassador role

Multi-million selling music artist Heather Small is to become an Asthma UK Ambassador. The role will see Heather, who believes that her distinctive voice may be partly as a result of her having asthma, help raise the profile of Asthma UK in the media and wider community. Heather's band, M-People, were one of the UK's most successful ever dance acts, selling over 10 million records and winning two Brit Awards and the prestigious Mercury Music Prize. She has gone on to achieve solo success with hits such as the hugely popular 'Proud', which became the anthem for London's successful 2012 Olympic bid. As a child, Heather's asthma was so bad that her family considered moving from their home in west London to the Caribbean for a change in environment. Eventually a trip to the doctors helped point out the triggers she should avoid and her asthma became more controlled.'I've always known myself as someone with asthma,' she said.'As a child I thought I was invincible so I'd try everything. I did get out of breath and exposure to my triggers led to some very frightening attacks. But I was determined not to let my asthma hold me back - it shouldn't stop you from enjoying life and doing what you want to do.

'It's tragic that lives are lost due to asthma every day, and I hope that my work as an Asthma UK Ambassador can help raise awareness about the seriousness of the condition.'
For confidential advice and information on asthma, call the Asthma UK Adviceline on 08457 01 02 03 or email us through the website.

No comments:

  © 2009 - HeatherSmallMusic.com

Back to TOP